Goodwood Sports Club  
Functions, Events, Catering and much more ..    
About Us
 
The beginning

During the winter months of 1952, the then chief fire officer of Goodwood, Mr Bill Marais, broached the idea of establishing a sports club for the officials of the municipality. This idea was met with great enthusiasm. The result of this was that before the end of 1952, a club was established which started functioning immediately.

A committee was elected with Bill Marais as the chairman, JB Jacobs the secretary and Ossie Elliot the treasurer. The club was aptly named the Goodwood Municipal Employees Sports Club. The club headquarters was at the Goodwood fire station which at the time was situated at the corner of Voortrekker and Molteno streets. The equipment of the club consists of a dart board and a table tennis table. Darts and table tennis were the only sports practised at the club during those early days.

Despite the name of the club, two "outsiders" were also involved in its' establishment. At the inaugural meeting held during August 1952, the following were present and can be termed the foundation members of the club:

Municipal employees: AP Treurnich (Town clerk and first president); Bill Marais (Chairman); Ossie Elliot (Treasurer); Gawie Matthee; Theo Brergh; Basie Cronje; Gert Cronje; Pannie Griebenow; Melly Islip; Albert Mangiagalli; Japie Fourie; Ernst Dubiel; Boetie Hugo; Gordon Thain; Chappie van Schoor, Steward John Hapgood; Eddy la Grange; Jan du Plessis; Hennie Visser; Piet van Wyk; Ivan la Cock; Gerrie Thompson; Dirk Franken and Jock Carrol.

Non municipal employees: Onie Meyer and Piet Olivier

Early in 1953 the club managed to lease an empty military bungalow at the Wingfield military base. This was renovated with the assistance of the Goodwood municipality and converted into a club house which then became the headquarters of the club. With the available fund, a snooker table was acquired from the department of Defence for an amount of 150 Pounds. This table is the existing number 1 snooker table in the club.

As a result of the popularity of snooker at that time more and more "outsiders" joined the club. It was consequently at the 1st AGM in August 1953 decided to drop the word "employees" from the name. The club was then named the Goodwood Municipal Sports club.

In 1954 Joe Simon was elected secretary of the club. He only held this position for one year because he left the Municipality for the business world where he was very successful.The secretary post was then filled by Friedel Conradie.

It was during this time that club adopted a new constitution drawn up by Fred Warick To illustrate the ability and talent of Fred is the fact that save for a few amendments that was necessary as a result of changing times, the club's present constitution is basically the same as that drawn up in 1954.

The first clubhouse

In 1956 the club's executive committee negotiated a loan of 15 000 pounds with the municipal council to build it's own clubhouse. The club house was erected in Molteno street behind the fire station. The builder was JC van Tonder who also built the clubhouse of the Goodwood Bowls Club. During 1956 the club moved into the new building which consisted of a hall, lounge, kitchenette, secretaries office, a snooker room and toilet facilities.

The club immediately embarked on a program of extending the sporting activities. A trampoline was acquired which was popular by the younger members. A second snooker table was next on the list. two tennis courts were constructed adjacent to the clubhouse which accommodated a very active strong tennis section. A badminton section was also established and is active to this day. A new sport in Cape Town, volleyball, was also introduced at this time. The sport was very popular amongst certain members but died down after a few years mainly due to the lack of venues suitable to the game.

To enable the club to redeem the 15 000 pound loan, the executive managed to persuade the council to make membership to the club a condition of service for all permanent municipal employees. This included the deduction of a subscription fee of 10 ???pence per employee from their salary. This brought in 6 pounds per annum per member.

During 1963 the municipal council approached the club on the possible expropriation of the clubhouse in Molteno Street. The building was required for the traffic department as its premises was totally inadequate. Before the end of the year agreement was reached that the club would vacate the premises on condition that the council would construct a new clubhouse. The site earmarked for the new clubhouse was situated in Milton Road next to the tennis club. This lead to protracted negotiations between the management of the tennis club and the sports club on the question of a possible amalgamation. (The Goodwood tennis club is possibly the oldest active sports club in Goodwood. It was founded in 1932/3 with the strong support and assistance of the township owners, Joyce and McGregor)

Eventually agreement was reached and one of the conditions was that the name of the combined club must be changed to The Goodwood Sports Club.

New premises

In 1966 the new premises was inaugurated by the then mayor Dr Solly Smiedt. It consisted of a main hall, snooker room, kitchen, lounge and servery as well as toilet facilities. The servery was soon converted into a bar albeit an illegal one. It was however only opened on Friday afternoons after work when the members enjoyed so-called "smokers" in the lounge area. Besides liquor refreshments, snacks were also served and one of the members, Keith Clayton who was a representative for Spekenham, would bring cold meats, salamies and viennas neatly packed and wrapped for sale at bargain prices to the members present at the "smokers". Music was occasionally provided on a piano which was donated to the club by the council. The bar became so popular that it was soon open every afternoon and evening of the week.

Liquor Licence

The club management applied for a liquor licence. The first application was submitted to the liquor licence board by Ernst Strauss, a partner in the firm of attorneys, Heyns, Strauss and Visagie. This application was refused. Because liquor licence applications were only considered once a year by the board, the second application could only be submitted 12 months later. Although the police report was favourable, the second application was also refused for reasons unbeknown to the attorneys or the club management. The third, fourth and fifth application suffered the same misfortune, for no apparent reason.

The then chairman (SJ Hapgood), vice chairman (P Goussard) and secretary (Friedel Conradie) approached the local member of parliament Mr Pio Meyer on this matter. The club deputation conveyed to Mr Meyer, in no uncertain terms, it's great disappointment at the continuous refusal of the licence by the liquor board for "unknown reasons". Club management had a strong suspicion of which organisation was responsible for the club's inability to succeed with it's application.

After having heard the reasoning and arguments of the club's deputation, Mr Meyer was non-committal on whether he would assist the club or what he is intending to do on behalf of the club. However, our next application submitted in 1972 was low and behold, successful. From that date the club's finances improved dramatically. The management of the club succeeded in incorporating all local sport clubs into the Goodwood Sports Club which resulted in a dramatic increase in the membership numbers.

Extending the club

The first step was to extend the club building which would entail constructing a larger bar area and extending the snooker room, large enough to house four tables. The Goodwood Town council kindly made a loan available to finance these extensions. The council in later years made further loans available for further extension for constructing a ladies bar, a dining room, extending the tennis club, converting the space behind reception into a committee room and building an annexe plus a service bar as additions to the main hall. A netball clubhouse was also constructed during this era. In later years, the then dining room was utilised for the extension and upgrading of the ladies bar (as it is at present).

A new dining room was created in a section of the tennis clubhouse, giving the bar-kitchen direct access to it. Very recently this dining room was upgraded to it's present state. At the same time the braai area also received a face-lift by covering a large portion of the area with a thatched roof. The last two improvements were financed from the club funds. Another big improvement venture, which was also financed from club funds, was the upgrading of the main bar during 1998.

Just before the amalgamation of the Goodwood Municipality with the surrounding municipalities in 1996 to establish the City of Tygerberg, the unpaid balance to the various loans, in total amounting to over R90 000 was written-off. The club and it's member were most grateful for this gesture. Certain councillors were instrumental in bringing about this concession. It must also be mentioned that Councillor Louwtjie Rothman played a major role in this.

Moving with the times

From a financial point of view, the club had a money spinner when it acquired eleven playing (gambling) machines which were installed in the ladies bar. With the introduction of the Gambling Act in 1997, the machines had to be destroyed due to a requirement of the authorities.

The club had over the first number of years been fortunate in having the service of members acting as barmen and performing other tasks for the club. They received no compensation for their labour. It is only in recent years that "paid" barmen were employed. The names of stalwarts of the club during those years are:

Ernie Wileman, Dicky Nash, pat Nash, Bobby wilmot, Lesley Leak, Petrie Burger, Colin Gray, Rex Leo, Toney Bowers and Viv Viviers.

The first club manager

Early in the seventies the Executive Committee realised the club could not function properly without the services of a club manager. Up till then the club was managed by members of the Executive Committee on an ad-hoc basis. These quasi managers were assisted by Bill Baily, who was employed as caretaker at the club. His main task was to keep the main hall neat and tidy. Those were the years before Goodwood had a civic centre and the main hall, was in terms of an agreement with the council, at the disposal of the municipality in which civic and other municipal activities could be held. The club was in turn "compensated" by having the services of Bill Baily who after his daily chores, acted as barman and the club paid his wages for these after hour services.

Although the arrangements were reasonably successful, the demands of the club and it's members were forever increasing. The result was that a position of a club manager became essential to exercise better control over the administration and activities.

In 1975 Colin Gray was appointed as the first manager. Initially he performed duties without compensation. In later years he was paid a small honorarium on a monthly basis for his labour. he held this position for many years until he retired on account of personal reasons in 1998. He was succeeded by Charl van Zyl who was paid a monthly salary. Charl was assisted by Butch le Grange for a year or so. Charl did not last long and was succeeded by Charl Mostert. Although he was suitably qualified he lacked the experience and administrative skills. He resigned after four years of service. Charl was assisted by Owen Gardiner for a year or so until his retirement due to ill health in 1997. Since then various managers were appointed to the club.

The new era

Under the chairmanship of Nick Beyers the club moved into the future by having the club records computerised from the old paper system, an autobank was installed, internet and electronic mail services was introduced and the club's own web site is in place. The club now also boasts with an electronic access control system.

Nick Beyers, the Chairman from 2005 unfortunately were transferred to Durban and could not stand for Chairman again in 2008 and Petrus Jooste was elected unopposed in his place. Geert Koffeman was elected as Honorary Life Member for the outstanding service to the club for close on 10 years.

The chairmen of the club

Bill Marais - 1952 - 1957 (deceased)

Fred Warick -1957 - 1963 (deceased)

Happy Hapgood -1963 - 1988 (deceased)

Cyril Hunter -1988 - 1989 (deceased)

Friedel Conradie -1989 - 2002 (deceased)

Lional Williamson -2002 - 2005

Nick Beyers 2005 - 2008

Petrus Jooste 2008 — 2009

Lionel Williamson 2009 - 2011

Norman Dunn 2011 - 2012

Richard Albrecht 2012 - Present

Life Members

Bill Marais -1958 (deceased)

Mrs L Conradie -1958 (deceased)

Fred Warick -1963 (deceased)

Steward Hapgood -1967 (deceased)

Friedel Conradie -1967 (deceased)

Petrie Burger -1986

Cyril Hunter -1988 (deceased)

Ernie Wileman -1988

Onie Meyer -1993 (deceased)

Joe Simon 1994 (deceased)

Louwtjie Rothman 2000

Daniel C Snoek 2002 (deceased)

Geert Koffeman -2008

Honorary Members

James Vos - 2008

Clive Justus - 2008